Medicines Optimisation & Pharmacy Procurement
The Medicines Optimisation and Pharmacy Procurement workstream delivers cost effective prices on medicines and related products, and also supports the London-wide QIPP work on medicines use and procurement.
Medicines cost the NHS £2 billion a year in London alone, split equally between Clinical Commissioning Groups (mainly GP prescriptions) and acute and mental health trusts. Hospital medicine expenditure is rising by about 12 percent a year, partly due to the introduction of new high cost medicines.
We work to encourage prescribing which is both clinically effective and cost effective by establishing clinical guidelines for high cost treatments. We also encourage the use of non-branded medicines or changing from one type of medicine to another where appropriate.
We help NHS organisations by:
- making savings on a range of pharmacy and related products
- providing pan-London pricing so each hospital pays the same price
- ensuring compliance with EU regulations
- keeping NHS organisations up-to-date on new medicines, medicines coming off patent and changes to the market
- working with NHS organisations on guidelines for the use of medicines
- providing monthly benchmarking, savings and cost avoidance data
|Azhar Saleem||GP Specialist to MOPP||020 7188 email@example.com|
|Jackie Eastwood||Associate Director, Medicines Optimisation and Pharmacy Procurement||07500 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jas Khambh||Associate Director - Pharmacy & Medicines Optimisation, & Lead for Primary Care||020 7188 email@example.com|
|Katherine Stapley||Outsourced Medicines Supply Services Lead||020 7188 6680 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Rebecca Fisher||Dietetic Project Manager||0207 188 7188 ext email@example.com|
|Tracy Mcmillan||Pharmacy and Medicines Management Project Leadfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Vincent Mak||Consultant Physicianemail@example.com|
|Zarah Perry-Woodford||Consultant Nurse Stoma Carefirstname.lastname@example.org|